INVEST IN YOUR FUTURE
Your society. Your events. Your connections. Your future.
We take our roles as mentors very seriously. Each year, we select a very small numbers of elite students and groom them into future leaders.
Bing a First-Year Representative for a society as big as UCLIS is not an easy job and can be a very demanding position. However, it is very rewarding and can help you fast-track your path to a successful career in finance. Most of our previous First-Year Representatives have successfully secured internships and jobs at top financial institutions, as well as leadership positions in the following-year UCLIS committee.
We expect you to get involved in all our projects, work on multiple tasks at the same time and act as a representative of the society at all times. In return, you will acquire all the technical knowledge needed to succeed in finance, have access to our network of connections which ranges from Analysts to Presidents, EMEA Heads, Managing Directors and Chairmen, develop lasting friendships with the other committee members and have access to all our exclusive events.
GO TO BENEFITS
As a First-Year Representative, you will:
- Develop your teamwork and leadership abilities by being involved in large-scale, real-life projects for our 5000+ members
- Give your CV a competitive edge by adding a position at one of the biggest finance societies in the UK
- Have access to our network of connections
- Be present at the exclusive networking sessions and other events with our sponsors, which include some of the biggest companies in the world
- Improve your chances of securing a leadership position in the 2018/19 UCLIS Committee – half of last year’s First-Year Representatives are now Vice-Presidents.
WHAT WE LOOK FOR
When assessing applications, we do not place emphasis on your degree, previous experience in finance or technical knowledge. What we look for are talented, ambitious, dedicated, hard-working students who are willing to learn and who will always go the extra mile in providing the highest quality of work for our members. Flexibility and ad-hoc problem-solving skills are a plus since, as a First-Year Representative, you will be working with all UCLIS Committee teams and departments.
The only case in which technical skills will greatly make you stand out is if you are particularly interested in our Marketing, Communications and Technology team. Even then, students who do not have the necessary technical skills will be taken into consideration based on their other experience and desire to learn.
When writing your cover letter, make sure you talk about how you fit these criteria.